These fantastic cars are very widely sold and have a huge loyal fan base. This is mainly due to their track record of safety, robustness and quality. Over the years Volvo have liaised with many manufacturers including Mitsubishi, Peugeot and had been owned by Ford. It is not surprising therefore, that they have been fitted with many different engines and hence, even the sump plug got changed a few times.
Is there an easy way to tell which sump plug is the correct one to be fitted to your car?
Fortunately, there is. Rather than looking at loads of lengthy tables with engine numbers etc, and then still getting the wrong one, because the table was not 100% right, you can just follow the these simple steps:
- Firstly, have a look underneath the car at the sump, then locate the sump plug and see what it looks like.
- Does it have a round smooth outside (22mm dia.) with a square hole (8mm) in it?
Then it is an SP12:
- Does it have a flat hexagonal head, (21mm) with no Allen key hole?
Then it is an SP5:
- Does it have a flat hexagonal head, with an Allen key hole (8mm) in it?
Then it is an SP17:
- Does it have a round smooth outside (23mm dia.) with a 17mm Hex Head on it?
Then it is an SP8:
- Does it have a round conical head (28mm dia.) with a 13mm Hex Head on it?
Then it is an SP3:
- Finally, once you know which Sump Plug is the right one for your vehicle, don't forget to order it from our online store.
Cars change all the time and we are not perfect. If you have a Volvo engined vehicle with a different sump plug, please email us a picture and we will try and help you out. In addition, we will also send you a little something to say Thank You :-)