These fantastic engines, were very widely fitted to many car makers, as Ford added to its stable of makes. So over time, even the sump plug got changed a few times.
Is there an easy way to tell which sump plug is fitted to my car?
Fortunately, there is. Rather than looking at loads of tables with engine numbers etc, and then still getting the wrong one, because the table wasn’t 100% right, just follow the these simple steps:
Have a look underneath the car at the sump, locate the sump plug and see what it looks like.
- Does it have a round smooth outside (23mm dia.) with a 13mm Hex Head on it? Then it is an SP4W:
- Does it have a round conical head (28mm dia.) with a 13mm Hex Head on it? Then it is an SP3W:
- Does it have a round smooth outside (27mm dia.) with a 15mm Hex Head on it? Then it is an SP33W:
- Is it a plastic plug with a 35mm diameter and a hand screw? Then it is an SP20W:
- Is it a plastic plug with a 29mm diameter with 2 side wings and a 10mm square hole? Then it is an SP35W:
Finally, once you know which Sump Plug is the right one for your vehicle, don't forget to order it from our online store.
Cars change all the time and we are not perfect. If you have a Ford engined vehicle with a different sump plug, please email us a picture and we will try and help you out. In addition, we will also send you a little something to say Thank You :-)
You may also find our video guide helpful: